Welcome to the Monday Meeting. Before we get into goals and whatnot for the week, I'd like to debrief a bit from my manuscript critique on Saturday, at the NESCBWI conference. Do you mind? No? Okay. Thanks.
Things I learned from my fifteen minutes of intense stress:
1. Agent Sarah Davies is funny, interesting, kind, honest and seems to know what she is looking for in a manuscript.
2. My very-much-in-revision manuscript is not what she is looking for :).
3. It's tough to have someone review a chapter that you have since completely overhauled. Very tough.
4. Agreeing with someone about the flaws in a manuscript doesn't make it any better that the flaws are there.
5. Resisting the urge to whip out the new version of the chapter is professional, but feels icky in the moment. Icky, I tell you!!
6. Telling an agent your life story, instead of what other manuscripts you are working on, will make you lie in bed at night, cursing yourself.
7. Focusing on the negatives of a critique instead of the positives will make you lie in bed at night, cursing your MC. (Clearly, it's all his fault, right? Why doesn't he do what I want him to do??)
8. Understanding what is wrong with your manuscript, and then have an agent back that up is painful, but also reassuring. Knowing how to fix it? Well, that's been my problem all along. I have a feeling that I will know it when I write it. Will today be the day? God, let's hope so!
So, that leads us right into the Monday Meeting. This week, I am going to take another look at my revised chapter, and see if it really, truly addresses all the issues that My British Agent (from this point on, I'm adopting Sarah Davies, and referring to her as M.B.A.) brought up. Not that I would substitute her judgment for my own, but I had already revised with those issues in mind. And, you know what? I don't think that first chapter is there yet. After that, I will write forward. Spectacularly. Woo-hoo! Who's with me?!
So, how do you survive the backlash from a critique? What are your goals for this week? Lay it on me, people!
In other news:
Have you heard about Anita's awesomeness? Congrats, Anita! I'm so excited for your success! I hope this great news will lead to more great new from you, Anita!! Let's go, domino effect!
Have you checked out Sheri's Graffiti Wall--it's like a Friday Feature on Tuesday!
And, it's a WIBIJ week. Nothing better than that! Come by Wednesday to join in the fun. We have one book left to giveaway (woo-hoo, BOOK GIVEAWAY!!), and all that we will tell you is that we will give it away at the first sign of awesomeness. So, show up, and show us the awesome.