Monday, May 24, 2010
Monday Meeting--Kitten Frenzy
Since Jon so liked my 'don't kill the fish' metaphor last week, I thought I would open up this Monday meeting by talking about how my manuscripts are similar to our two newest family members.
1. Manuscripts only cuddles when they want to.
2. When they do, you drop everything to cuddle, for as long as that manuscript wants.
3. Sometimes manuscripts claw and bite. Rarely do they mean to actually hurt you.
4. Manuscripts DO NOT LIKE TO BE IN THE BATH. (Seriously. My son tested this theory out last night. Me: "Why is Magellan wet?" Superman: "Mom, she got too close to the bath" --read: 'she got too close to my reach while I was in the bath.')
5. Sometimes manuscripts keep you up all night long with their antics.
6. It's always better to have two manuscripts going at once, so they can play and cuddle with each other, when they choose not to play and cuddle with you.
7. Manuscripts oscillate between being really loud and playful and so quiet that you panic, thinking you have lost them. But there they are, just hiding out and taking a nap.
7. Sometimes the manuscripts' mommy cries at the back door, and you let her in so that she can nurse her manuscripts. Okay, this was a stretch. But it just goes to show you how wild and crazy it is around here. :)
Okay, onto business. *banging the gavel*
This week, I am going to use my last morning of freedom to write. My daughter's school ends this week, and after this, I won't have any free time due to school, since I am homeschooling her for her last year of pre-K. Am I crazy? YES.
I'll just have to be even more creative with my writing time.
I'm actually going to set a solid writing goal this week. I want to restructure the first 5 chapters around my new beginning. I need to get this book moving. I also have a goal of more exercise in my schedule. For some reason, it's one or the other. I either exercise or write. But I need to do both to stay balanced. Another goal is to beat Kate at some word counts in The Practice Room. Who's with me? C'mon! Competitive writing isn't just for NANO anymore!!
Plus, Kate Messner is saying a welcome to some new bloggers this week. She is encouraging you to go and say hi at their blogs. Show those writers what community looks like. And, then stop back by KM's blog, and she'll enter you in to win an ARC of her AWESOME NEW BOOK. A prize for being neighborly. How cool!
And, you haven't yet missed entering Tahereh's awesome contest by playing with kittens all weekend. You have until tonight to enter. Check it out!!
And, Congrats, DENA!!!
Woo-hoo, Elana! (Check out her fabulous give-aways this week, too!!)
So, what are your goals for the week? Do your manuscripts ever hide from you? How do you carve out time to write? Are you ready for some competition in The Practice Room?